Randy Y. Luo, M.D.
Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeon Hand & Upper Extremity Specialist
Randy Luo, MD, is an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in hand and upper extremity surgery in Houston.
Having grown up near the Houston Medical Center ― where his parents worked as cancer researchers ― Dr. Luo’s dream was to one day become a doctor. His dream became a reality when he was accepted into the Rice Baylor Medical Scholars Program, which annually grants 15 students automatic acceptance into the nationally ranked Baylor College of Medicine.
During medical school, Dr. Luo was interested in healthcare policy and engaged in a dual MD/MBA degree from Baylor College of Medicine and Rice University. He completed his orthopedic surgery residency at the University of Florida and his fellowship in hand and microsurgery at Baylor College of Medicine.
Dr. Luo is highly skilled in the latest orthopedic and hand surgeries. He has presented at national meetings and written peer-review articles in orthopedic surgery and hand surgery. He is part of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, The American Society for Surgery of the Hand, and The American Association for Hand Surgery.
Dr. Luo is fluent in English and Mandarin Chinese and can speak conversationally in Spanish. In his free time, he enjoys supporting Houston sports teams, playing the piano, and playing basketball and golf.
- Undergraduate: Rice University 2006
- Graduate: Rice University, Jones Graduate School of Business 2009
- Medical School: Baylor College of Medicine 2011
- Residency: University of Florida 2016, Orthopedic Surgery
- Fellowship: Baylor College of Medicine 2017, Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery, Microvascular Surgery
Fondren Orthopedic Group
- Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery; Orthopedic Surgery
Baylor College of Medicine
- Hand Surgery Fellow
Victorian Hand Surgery Associates, St. Vincent’s Hospital
University of Florida, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Rehabilitation
- Resident Physician
Baylor College of Medicine
- Doctor of Medicine, Awarded Outstanding Student in Orthopedic Surgery
Rice University, Jones Graduate School of Business
- Master of Business Administration, Graduated with Honors.
- CIEE Study Abroad Program.
- BA in Kinesiology & BA in Asian Studies
- Rice University/Baylor College of Medicine Medical Scholar’s Program
- Rice Rugby Club
Pearland High School
- Graduated 1st out of 652
- Annual award for medical students with outstanding achievement in orthopedic research at Baylor College of Medicine. Panel consists of Baylor clinical and research faculty members.
- Williams, BA, Luo R, Spiguel A, Scarborough M. Chapter: The Role of Computer-Assisted Navigation in Orthopaedic Sugery. Computer-Assisted Navigation in Musculoskeletal Tumor Surgery: Principles and Practice. (submitted November 2015)
- Chan CM, Luo R, Matthias R. Tendon graft ossification; an unusual complication of suspensionplasty for trapeziometacarpal arthritis of the thumb. J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2014 Aug
- Luo R, Vickers J, Gentile J. Minimizing Cast Complications. (poster presentation at University of Florida Patient Quality and Safety Retreat, 2013)
- Luo R, Brekke A, Noble PC. The Financial Impact of Joint Registries in Identifying Poor Implant Performance. J Arthroplasty. 2012 Sep;27. (8 Suppl):66-71
- Podium Presentation at AAOS 2010 and AAHKS 2011 Conference
- Poster Presentation at ORS Conference , March
- Best of Show – James K. Alexander Research Symposium at Baylor College of Medicine, March 11, 2010.
- Luo R, Parker A, Stocks G, Mathis K, Nunley R, Shimmin A,Noble PC. In Many HRA Patients, High-Demand Activities are a Part of Normal
- Poster Presentation at AAOS March 2010
- Poster Presentation at ORS Conference
- Parker A, Luo R, Mathis K, Stocks G, Barrack R, Nunley R, Shimmin A, Brekke A, Osadebe U, Noble
Does Participation in High-Demand Activities after Total Hip Arthroplasty Correlate with Satisfaction?
- Powerpoint Presentation at Harvard Arthroplasty Course
- Wang B, Wei D, Crum VE, Richardson EL, Xiong HH, Luo Y, Huang S, Abbruzzese JL, Xie K. A novel model system for studying the double-edged roles of nitric oxide production in pancreatic cancer growth and metastasis. 2003 Mar 27;22(12):1771-82.
- Languages - Fluent in English and Mandarin Chinese, Conversational in
- Music - Piano x 23 years, Violin x 2 years, Accordion x 6 years. Performed piano at BCM White Coat Ceremony, Charity Ball, BCM Cadaver Ceremony and other social events. Former member of Jones School of Business Band- The Toxic
- Sports - Rice Rugby Club- Winger 2004-2006, Intramural Basketball Champions at Rice University 2009, golf